Through innovation procurement the public sector can drive innovation from the demand side. This enables the public sector to modernize public services faster while creating opportunities for companies in Europe to bring research results to the market and gain leadership in new markets.
Horizon 2020 supports two complementary types of innovation procurement: Pre-Commercial Procurement (PCP) addresses the development and testing of innovative solutions, Public Procurement of Innovative solutions (PPI) focuses on the deployment of innovative solutions. Examples of ongoing PCP and PPI projects.
Check out the calls with submission deadlines in 2017:
PCP actions (co-finance at 90% the actual purchase of R&D to get new innovative solutions developed and tested, plus at 90+25% related coordination and networking costs)
- Robotics for smart cities: 7 M€ (ICT-27(d)), call deadline 25 April 2017
- Soil decontamination: 5 M€ (SC5-26), call deadline 7 March 2017
- Broadband coms security: 10 M€ (4-DRS), call deadline 24 August 2017
- Forensics: 10 M€ (9-FCT), call deadline 24 August 2017
- External policy/border control: 10 M€ (13-BES), call deadline 24 August 2017
PPI actions (co-finance at 35% the actual purchase of innovative solutions, plus at 35+25% related coordination and networking costs)
- E-health standards: 8,26 M€ (PM-19), call deadline 14 March 2017
- Energy efficiency: part of larger call (EE-19), call deadline 7 June 2017
CSA actions (co-finance at 100+25% coordination and networking costs)
- EU wide network of national innovation procurement competence centers & Networks of public procurers preparing PCP or PPIs in any area of public interest requiring ICT based solutions: 4 M€ (ICT-33), call deadline 25 April 2017
Note that the funding rates are increased to 90% respectively 35% for the PCP respectively PPI actions from WP2016-17 onwards! Also from WP2017 onwards, proposers can choose between implementing one joint PPI procurement or several separate but coordinated PPI procurements!
More info on EU funding for innovation procurement: different types of funding available, how to prepare a proposal, possible synergies with ESIF funding, answers to FAQs etc. Check out also the page on innovation procurement in the H2020 online manual: is my organisation considered a public procurer, where can I find support to prepare a proposal etc
Looking for potential partners? Check out this list of key ICT procurers across all EU Member States in 10 different public sector domains.
To help procurers in H2020 funded PCPs, the EC made available template PCP tender documents: Firstly there are templates for the OJEU notices to announce the open market consultation, to launch the call for tender and to announce the winning bidders. Secondly there is also a template for the Request for tenders with a Framework Agreement covering the whole PCP and specific contracts for each PCP phase.
If you are interested in public procurement contact us at email@example.com.
More information: ec.europa.eu