South Summit 2022 celebrates its tenth anniversary by fostering accessible innovation
Zabala Innovation will be part of this international meeting between entrepreneurs, investors, startups and corporations
Zabala Innovation will participate on 8, 9 and 10 June in the tenth edition of South Summit, the innovation platform that connects entrepreneurs, investors, startups and corporations to promote business opportunities. Under the slogan Decoding Complexity, the event, which will take place in the Madrid pavilion La Nave, seeks to involve the public more and make innovation accessible to anyone who wants to create and promote a disruptive idea to launch a business.
South Summit has established itself over the years as one of the most important events in the business and corporate world focused on innovation. It is a space where companies from different sectors present their projects, with the possibility of closing agreements and developing collaboration spaces. The meeting seeks to promote talent and create value by encouraging collaboration between established and emerging companies.
Zabala Innovation is one of the companies that has been present on numerous occasions since 2014 at this event, which this year is attended by founders and managers of companies from all over the world. Among them are Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States, Pablo Isla, Chairman of the International Advisory Board of IE Business School and Mariya Gabriel, European Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth.
Cascade funding for startups
Zabala Innovation’s presence at the South Summit comes as a result of the positioning achieved in cascade funding projects. In this year’s edition, it will accompany the startups participating in the DAPSI and Media Futures projects.
DAPSI is a project led by Zabala Innovation that seeks to make it easier for citizens to transfer their data from one service provider to another in a simpler and more direct way, in line with the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation. This new regulation has been developed to give people better control over their personal data.
This cascade funding project does it by supporting researchers, SMEs and start-ups or innovators across Europe with a 9-month incubation programme. During this period, the selected teams will receive financial support (up to €150k per team) and a package of services such as coaching and mentoring in the necessary technology and business areas, which will pave the way for them to successfully reach the market with their use cases.
The startups that have received support from DAPSI and will be present at South Summit 2022 are:
- Saulx: a development agency from the Netherlands that builds the infrastructure to create real-time data transfer, scaling to tens of millions of simultaneous connections.
- Murena: a French startup committed to privacy with products and services that help people escape digital surveillance.
- Datavillage: a Belgian privacy-based data management startup that enables both organisations and their consumers to use and benefit from personal data in a reliable and compliant way.
- COLOMBA: a software company based in Switzerland providing data management solutions.
- IDISS: a project to improve data interoperability by implementing standards with human-centred semantics.
Media Futures is a project in which Zabala Innovation is part of as responsible for the Open Calls with the “cascade funding” methodology, as well as actively participating in the dissemination and social innovation actions. It is a project that seeks to create a European innovation centre based on the use of data that brings together start-ups, SMEs and artists to solve the challenges of the media sector. Through this initiative, 19 projects will receive funding, mentoring and training to develop innovative ideas that tackle misinformation through the use of data.
The six projects that will attend the event selected by Media Futures are:
- Enlight Hub: Ukrainian news aggregator configured by each user to display news on their topics of interest. It will represent “the Google of news”, and each user will have their own personal online newspaper thanks to customised filters.
- Our Tribune
- MUMIDIS: Open online space of the Ukrainian research collaboration designed to educate people about the methods of disinformation brainwashing.
- The Oracle Network: A work of art made by a team composed of a full-stack developer, an artificial intelligence researcher, a visual artist with a background in philosophy and anthropology, and a game artist.
- FACTINSECT: a tool that compares Internet articles with selected quality media. A simple traffic light system provides information on the credibility of online newspaper articles, blog posts and other online information.
Zabala Innovation will also present the startups at their pitches on 9 and 10 June:
Day 1: June 9th – 10:50 to 11:15
Presenter: Sara Mateo, EU projects manager at Zabala Innovation
Day 2: June 10th – 11:10 to 11:40
Presenter: Ana Lumbreras, European Projects Dissemination & Communication at Zabala Innovation
If you are planning to attend the event, you will be able to meet us at stand no. 130-132 and 156-158 and meet the 12 selected startups through two of our Cascade Funding projects.
In this way, eight new concepts will be launched for discussion to be transformed into actions:
- Intelligence of complex systems
- Innovation & ecosystems
- Value-based business
- New dimensions
Through the Night of Ideas initiative, the South Summit will also flood the corners of Madrid with optimisation and creativity, to design together the green cities of the future.