MediaFutures’ 2nd Open Call receives 137 proposals
MediaFutures is a three-year project that aims to reshape the media value chain and boost the use of data through the responsible and innovative use of data in the media industry. Along with facilitating access to funding, the project also offers technical, legal, business and sustainability mentoring and support for entrepreneurial and creative projects.
The second open call covers a single challenge that can be addressed via the use of any dataset or combination of datasets, from those provided in the data infrastructure of the project. MediaFutures closed its second call on January 27, 2022, and although the official results are not due until early March, the data below provides a preview of the number of proposals selected for each phase:
Final data of submitted proposals in the 2nd Open Call:
– SfC (Start-ups for Citizens): 53 finalised proposals – up to 8 will be selected for the START phase (15% expected success rate)
– SmA – (Start-up meets Artists): 30 finalised proposals – up to 10 will be selected for the START phase (33% expected success rate)
– AfM – (Artists for Media): 54 finalised proposals – up to 5 will be selected for the BUILD phase (9% expected success rate)
In total, 137 finalised proposals were submitted by applicants from 39 countries all over the world. Overall, the number of total applications, in comparison with the 1st Open Call, has been increased (+3%). The most significant increase can be noted in the collaborative SmA track (Startup meets Artists).
The selected participants will access the START Phase, at the end of which, a pitch-competition event will be organised, awarding €5,000 in funding to participants. However, not all applicants, such as artists, need to pass through the START phase, and can submit their proposals directly in the BUILD phase.
– ELIGIBILITY: the eligibility of proposals is being verified
– REMOTE EVALUATION: 7-11 February
– JURY PANELS: 14-18 February
– ARTIST INTERVIEWS: 21-25 February
– FEEDBACK TO APPLICANTS: early March
Zabala Innovation is a partner in the project that involves 9 other partners from 6 different countries and a €5 million budget. As leader of MediaFutures’ first and second calls, as well as some of the project’s social innovation activities, Zabala Innovation also supports the dissemination and communication actions of the project.