DAPSI: The Data Portability and Services Incubator starts September with much to celebrate
11 innovative projects that will contribute to the advancement of data portability research are joining DAPSI
Last February we launched our first DAPSI open call with a high participation of researchers and innovators from all over Europe, closing the month of April with a total of 182 proposals from 33 different countries.
The high participation was a challenge for ZABALA as manager of the selection process, supported by six external evaluators who are experts in the field. Despite having received excellent proposals, only 11 projects could be funded, making it a very competitive call (6% success rate). A grant of 1.5M euros will be distributed among them, receiving up to 150,000 euros per project.
However, those applicants who have not been selected should not be discouraged, there are still two calls where a total of 4M euros will be distributed.
The key date to write down in the agenda is November. At the end of the year, the second call will open making the deadline to apply in January.
Europe’s brightest innovators and researchers in Data Portability
The 11 selected projects, some are collaborative and other are individual projects, began their participation in DAPSI on 15 September at a welcome session where beneficiaries were able to learn in detail about all the services that DAPSI will make available to them in a comprehensive incubation programme for the next 9 months.
- ALIAS – Enables the next generation of applications to happen, by automating GDPR portability for applications developers.
- Checkpipe Charlie – A tool for describing and validating data.
- DIP – Human-centric Vaccination & Immunization Management using Verifiable Credentials.
- Domi – SSI-based digital passport to facilitate data portability in the housing rental sector.
- DPella – Data analyses with privacy in mind.
- IDADEV-P2P – Blockchain Based Data Portability System
- OpenPKG – A decentralised data provenance system for improved governance and portability of personal data.
- OpenXPort – Open export of data across different systems and providers.
- ORATORIO – Energy data exchange platform.
- Prov4ITData – Provenance-aware querying and generation for interoperable and transparent data transfer.
- UI-Transfer – A complete solution for the “user initiated inter-controller and continuous data transfer” pattern.
What is DAPSI?
The Data Portability and Services Incubator (DAPSI) is a EU funded project, under the European Commission’s Next Generation Internet (NGI) initiative, to empower top internet innovators to develop human-centric solutions, addressing the challenge of personal data portability on the internet, as foreseen under the GDPR, and make it significantly easier for citizens to have any data which is stored with one service provider transmitted directly to another provider.
The project is operated by 6 experienced partners that will involve the selected teams in a vibrant ecosystem: Zabala Innovation Consulting (Spain), F6S (Irland), Cap Digital (France), IMT Starter (France), Fraunhofer IAS (Germany) and Engineering (Italy), and has received funding from the European Union’s H2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement nº 871498
NGI- Next Generation Internet Iniciative
DAPSI is part of the European Commission’s NGI initiative to work towards making the internet more human-centric, open, and inclusive.
This initiative has 21 projects (similar to DAPSI but working on other technologies and topics) that have managed to mobilise 26M€ for innovators across Europe to carry out 366 projects. This sets an average success rate for the programme of 15%.
Close to our first year of project, we can say that we are a big family. To the 6 European partners that are part of this project with ZABALA as coordinator, 11 innovative projects will join to contribute to the advance of research in the field of Data Portability.